History

The History of the Meadows Building

In 1950, the General American Oil Company established an employee pension fund. Participants were required to contribute 4% of their salary in exchange for a guaranteed income after retirement. It was through this program that the Meadows Building was constructed and came to be employee-owned.

The Meadows Building – named after beloved president, Algur H. Meadows – was the first Dallas high-rise built outside of Downtown and served as the headquarters of General American Oil Company. Designed by Dallas architect J.N. MacCammon and Dallas’ first landscaping company, Lambert Landscaping Company, the Meadows Building was heralded for its progressive design and amenities inside and out.

Twenty years later, it became the cornerstone of Energy Square as a second building was completed on campus. Each new building and the accompanying landscaping were designed with current architectural styles, bridging a span of history from mid-century to the modern era.

Throughout the decades, a number of renovations have taken place at Energy Square. The most extensive and most recent renovations were started in early 2017, and have made Energy Square the perfect fusion of history, nature, and modern comforts.

1950

The General American Oil Company establishes an employee pension fund, which will ultimately lead to the construction of the Meadows Building.

1952

The company acquires land on the Central Expressway (I-75) through a 99-year lease. This land will ultimately house the Meadows Building.

1955

The Meadows Building is completed and opens as the headquarters of the General American Oil Company. Named after beloved president, Algur H. Meadows – it was the first Dallas high-rise built outside of Downtown.

The building was heralded for its progressive design and amenities inside and out – all thanks to the vision of Dallas architect J.N. MacCammon and Dallas’ first landscaping company, Lambert Landscaping Company.

1973

A ten-acre site to the south of the Meadows building is cleared to make room for the new development to be called Energy Square.

1975

The first building, Energy Square One is completed – adding a new architecture style to the growing campus. It was popular with oil and gas companies, many of which were next door in the landmark Meadows Building.

1980

Energy Square Two is built.

1983

The Meadows Building is purchased by Sullivan Development Company of Dallas.

1986

Energy Square Three is built.

1990s – 2000s

The properties are sold to various developers over the next 20+ years.

2015

GlenStar and USAA Real Estate purchase the Energy Square campus and subsequently acquire the Meadows Building, with plans to redevelop the entire site into a unified Class-A office campus.

2016

The Meadows Building is initiated by the Dallas Landmark Commission for designation as a City of Dallas Landmark.

2018

Renovations begin on the new, unified Energy Square – the perfect fusion of history, nature, and modern comforts.